[asterisk-dev] device_state distribution issues

Tue Nov 9 04:14:09 CST 2010

btw: has someone ever did any performance measuring of devicestate
distribution? I would suspect ais to have much better performance as it
avoids the additional hop of the XMPP server, avoids XML
encoding/parsing and is sent by multicast (good for multiple servers as
it avoids the sequential XMPP ntofications). Thus, for LAN environments
I think ais is much better suited than XMPP.

So, what is now the purpose of res_ais vs. res_jabber?

I think the goal of device state distribution with XMPP is to have
synchronize the device state over between geographically distributed
servers (e.g. main office and branch offices) not for having multiple
Asterisk servers for load balancing.

AIS based state distribution seems very lightweight. Thus, in high
traffic environments where a single server can not handle all the load
(lots of idle traffic due to REGISTER and OPTIONS, transcoding ...) it
allows you to have an Asterisk cluster with one aggregated device state
for each device over the whole cluster. Of course at some point if there
are many nodes and too many state changes then the cluster may collapse
due to the immense ais traffic, but I think state changes are usually
not that much (mostly only when a call is created and hangup) compared
to other load (RTP, idle traffic) and so I think a cluster of 10 servers
or more should not be a problem.

So, do my comments make sense?

Thanks
Klaus