[asterisk-dev] device_state distribution issues

Brad Watkins marquis42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 15:04:25 CST 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:

> In the case of res_ais, it works by having every server report state
> changes that occur on that server.  The result is that each server has
> an internal table of the state of each device from the perspective on
> each server involved.  When the state changes on _any_ server, it then
> looks at the last known state of that device on all servers and
> determines an overall state.  So, based on that, this is supposed to
> work.
>
> The way this works is that each event is tagged with a server ID
> (referred to as an entity ID, or EID).  From a quick look at the XMPP
> implementation, it appears that the server ID is not being propagated.
> So, the failure you are seeing is not ideal (a bug actually, please
> report it), but it is the expected behavior right now.
>
> The XMPP distributed device state code needs to be updated such that the
> EID information element is included in state changes that it sends out
> such that its behavior matches that of the AIS implementation.

Clearly this was a misunderstanding on my part about how the EID is being
used in AIS.  My impression was that it was primarily being used to prevent
event feedback loops.

At any rate, if you would please open a bug Klaus and have someone assign it
to me I'll make sure this gets fixed in the next week or so.

- Brad