[asterisk-dev] doc/ -> wiki.asterisk.org

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Wed Nov 3 16:31:47 CDT 2010

3 nov 2010 kl. 22.22 skrev Leif Madsen:

> On 10-11-03 11:52 AM, Russell Bryant wrote:
>> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 20:48 +0100, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>>> Thus I vote for a clear distinction between the versions and keep a
>>> dedicated documentation for each version. Especially with LTS versions
>>> it will happen that people look up documentation of older releases and
>>> are not interested in documentation and comments of a newer versions.
>>
>> Alright, I'm convinced.  You make a good case for it being this way, and
>> nobody is making a case for leaving it how it is.  Nobody is arguing for
>> it to be the other way ... or perhaps most people just don't care.  :-)
>> I'll work on changing it.
>
> As long as we don't have duplicated documentation that needs to be updated in
> multiple locations when something changes (and thus causes things to be out of
> sync), I'm not for any way in particular. I'm most concerned about being able to
> keep things in sync where necessary.

I think we need to be careful with documents that are needed in install and basic configuration.
I always use the channelvariables document in text format and it needs to be there, hopefully also in the svn versions.

I love wikis, but as Klaus said, they are NOT reachable in many, many cases where we install the software.
Use them for examples and keep the reference in the source tree. We also use some text files as includes
in the doxygen. Make copies of it the same way for the wiki - without allowing edits - just comments.

/O