[asterisk-dev] Switching unrestricted digital calls

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Wed Nov 3 01:08:18 CDT 2010

Dear Klaus,
  I was afraid of something like this. It may be a serious drawback, preventing
usage of Asterisk in some environments, which are now covered by commercial
devices only.
  For example, there are OneAccess CPEs on the market, which are simple
multi-purpose boxes, scaled from a few POTS/BRI up to many E1s on the TDM side.
They can handle unrestricted digital calls, and they do it using a special
"clear-channel" codec, which can be configured in the codec list exactly as
other ones, one can even choose a ptime (10 - 30 ms). This codec is selected
automatically for all the bearer types, which require unrestricted digital
transmission. The payload ID in RTP stream can also be specified (similarly as
for other codecs or DTMF etc.).
  Together with clock recovery by another special RTP stream (patented
technology of OneAccess), these devices are perfectly suited for full E1/PRI
replacement purposes, when the customer requires legacy TDM service but there
is no TDM connectivity available on their site.
  I think that implementing idea of a "clear-channel" codec, which would
ensure strict 1:1 data transmission without any transcodings, gain
manipulations etc. would be a really good idea, and that it would not be so
hard to write the code. And because Asterisk has to be a really flexible and
universal switching platform, it would be really good to have such possibility
in it...
  With regards, Pavel