[asterisk-dev] doc/ -> wiki.asterisk.org

Tue Nov 2 06:21:01 CDT 2010

Am 01.11.2010 19:52, schrieb Russell Bryant:
> Greetings,
>
> As you have probably seen by now, there is a new project wiki available:
>
>      http://wiki.asterisk.org
>
> This wiki was originally created to host documentation for the Asterisk
> SCF project.  We then realized that it would be very valuable to host
> all of our Asterisk documentation there, as well.  At this point,
> everything from the doc/ directory (from Asterisk 1.8) has been imported
> into the wiki.  In addition, we have created a tool that syncs the XML
> based documentation from the Asterisk source with the wiki
> (applications, functions, AMI actions, AGI commands).

I really miss a version thing on the Wiki. There will be new versions of
Asterisk and documentation is worthless if it does not specify the
version. This is one of the biggest problems with the voip-info wiki as
you never for what specific Asterisk version the documentation is. So,
IMO the Asterisk documentation must be moved into subchapters per
release. There may also be a Trunk documentation.

It should be similar to what we have on Kamailio website (or other
projects), with clear differentiations for every release, e.g.:
http://www.kamailio.org/w/documentation/
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/

> Now that the wiki has been made available, I would like to strip most of
> the documentation from the doc/ directory in favor of the wiki.  It does
> not make sense to have the documentation in more than one place.  The
> wiki supports exporting the documentation as a PDF, so we can still
> include the docs in a tarball.

I like if the documentation stays with the code. This is luckily the
case with the most important docs (inline XML, configs/*.conf.sample).
If docs/ is moved to the wiki I don't mind. Just make sure to export the
documentation also to .txt files as I usually have only text-based servers.

regards
Klaus