[asterisk-dev] doc/ -> wiki.asterisk.org

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Nov 1 15:03:14 CDT 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 02:00:49PM -0500, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 11/01/2010 01:52 PM, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > As you have probably seen by now, there is a new project wiki available:
> >
> >     http://wiki.asterisk.org
> >
> > This wiki was originally created to host documentation for the Asterisk
> > SCF project.  We then realized that it would be very valuable to host
> > all of our Asterisk documentation there, as well.  At this point,
> > everything from the doc/ directory (from Asterisk 1.8) has been imported
> > into the wiki.  In addition, we have created a tool that syncs the XML
> > based documentation from the Asterisk source with the wiki
> > (applications, functions, AMI actions, AGI commands).
> >
> > Now that the wiki has been made available, I would like to strip most of
> > the documentation from the doc/ directory in favor of the wiki.  It does
> > not make sense to have the documentation in more than one place.  The
> > wiki supports exporting the documentation as a PDF, so we can still
> > include the docs in a tarball.
> >
> > Before I go and start ripping files out of the source tree, I wanted to
> > post this to give people an opportunity to ask questions or provide
> > feedback.
>
> +1 from me; having the docs on the wiki will mean that readers will also
> see comments attached to them and will see the most up-to-date version.

Which i a good thing if the documented object itself does not change.
But may lead to odd results when it does.

Furthermore, in many cases documentation is part of a patch. This is
more so for a config file snippet, but often occasioanlly so for the
substantial features.

I also note that the content of the wiki seems to be: "Comments are
property of their authors, all other content is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs".

The current documentation has the same license as the code and can be
distributed with it. I hope there will not be any future issues with
including good documentation with Asterisk.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com