[asterisk-dev] Trying to debug Fork failed: Cannot allocate memory

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Mon Nov 1 11:10:46 CDT 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010 07:45:25 Antonio Goméz Soto wrote:
> I am getting out of memory errors, they are reported by the clone() system
> call, but only to asterisk. Other programs on the same system have no
> problems. top reports plenty of memory available.
>
> I get these messages from ast_safe_system() and from res_musiconhold, after
> a week running on  lightly loaded system (1.6.2.13) with 15 users.
>
> Otherwise I don't see any problems on this machine. Any idea on how to
> pursue this?

The most likely cause is a memory leak.  You can help track this down by
enabling MALLOC_DEBUG in 'make menuselect' and recompiling.  This adds
the CLI commands 'memory show summary' and 'memory show allocations'.  This
hopefully will show where there's a leak and help you or us track this down.

Another less likely cause is that you have a limit on the amount of memory
that a single user can allocate on the system.

--
Tilghman Lesher