[asterisk-dev] Channel locking mechanism in Asterisk

chaitra.bhat at lakecommunications.com chaitra.bhat at lakecommunications.com
Mon Nov 1 05:06:42 CDT 2010

Hi All,

We use Asterisk version 1.4.22 in our PBX product. But we have seen that
the locking mechanism that exists in the channel code today is highly
inefficient and CPU consuming. Also, if not careful with the locks order,
can lead to deadlocks.

So, was wondering if anything has changed with regard to this in the later
versions of Asterisk (1.4 or 1.6). There were talks of introducing a
reference counting mechanism - was this implemented?

If I see channel.c and lock.h in 1.4.36, I do not see any changes there
wrt the locking mechanism. And in ver 1.6.2, except for the RW locks, I do
not see any other difference.

Can somebody tell me what changes were introduced in Asterisk 1.6 to
manage and debug the locking of the channels efficiently please?

Thanks,

-Bhatc
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify mailadmin at lakecommunications.com

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses and other security threats.

Registered Office: Lake Communications Ltd, Beech House, Greenhills Road, Dublin 24, Ireland.
Registered No. 	59890