[asterisk-dev] GSoC 2010 - Calling for Project Ideas and Mentors

Tim Ringenbach tim.ringenbach at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:18:23 CST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:

> 2) We need a suggested projects list.  Historically, I think our project
> ideas have been a bit too big.  We need to aim for coming up with
> projects more concretely achievable in a summer for a college student
> not necessarily familiar with the Asterisk code base.  I think coming up
> with ideas for specific tests to implement is a really good area to
> think about.  Please post any project ideas that you have so that we can
> discuss them and get them on the list.

Some random ideas:
1. I've heard the complaint that IAX2 suffers on the performance front
because of it's use of a single port for singling and audio.  Something to
do with the kernel scheduler doing a better job at dishing out packets to
the appropriate thread than anything we're likely to implement in userspace.
So maybe either a "add support for a separate media port", or a more general
"improve iax2 performance" if some other route is a better way.
2. Eliminate channel masquerades and come up with some better way to handle
the need for them.
3. Run a tool like helgrind or ThreadSanitizer on asterisk and fix all the
errors, add unit tests so they don't come back, etc. Some of those tools
need annotations in the source to flag false positives, so add those too.