[asterisk-dev] Need assistance: ast_frfree(f) causes asterisk to crash

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Tue Mar 2 17:54:32 CST 2010

Artem Makhutov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need some assistance for chan_datacard.
>
> There is a problem that plaing back .wav audio files with Playback()
> will crash asterisk. This problem does not exist in usual voice calls or
> playpack of .gsm files.
>
> I have hunted the problem and figure out that the crash is caused by
> ast_frfree(f):
>
> http://pastebin.com/xjUbWUdx
>
> Can some body explain me, what is going wrong here? And why does this
> only happen when using Playback() with a .wav file?

It's hard to tell from what you have provided what is going wrong. It would be a
good idea to provide a backtrace from a crash that you experience. Also, I would
recommend running your test under valgrind since it can likely more clearly
point out what the problem is. It would also be worthwhile to playback a gsm
file with valgrind running just to be absolutely sure the same problem isn't
happening with it.

Also, if you do provide backtraces and valgrind traces, it would be a good idea
to specify what version of Asterisk you're developing against as well.

Mark Michelson