[asterisk-dev] GSoC 2010 - Calling for Project Ideas and Mentors

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Tue Mar 2 15:37:16 CST 2010

On Monday 01 March 2010 18:35:05 Russell Bryant wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The period for organizations to apply for participation in the Google
> Summer of Code program for 2010 is next week.  That means that by the
> end of next week, we need to put together a couple of things:
>
> 1) I need to know who would be willing to mentor a student.  This is not
> an extremely large commitment.  You are there to provide some technical
> guidance, as well as general guidance for how to interact with the
> Asterisk development community.  If you have questions about being a
> mentor, there are a number of people on this list that have done this
> before and can provide feedback.  Feel free to also contact me directly
> on this topic.

I am once again open to being a GSoC mentor this year.

> 2) We need a suggested projects list.  Historically, I think our project
> ideas have been a bit too big.  We need to aim for coming up with
> projects more concretely achievable in a summer for a college student
> not necessarily familiar with the Asterisk code base.  I think coming up
> with ideas for specific tests to implement is a really good area to
> think about.  Please post any project ideas that you have so that we can
> discuss them and get them on the list.

I think completion of the ast_storage project could be a goal.  Separating out
the various backends for Voicemail into their own modules and allowing them
to be used per-user, given that the project is well-defined, could probably be
done over the course of 10 weeks.

--
Tilghman Lesher