[asterisk-dev] Wrong incoming context after dnsmgr IP address change

Dennis DeDonatis asterisk at dennisd.com
Mon Jun 28 20:04:10 CDT 2010

> > [2010-06-25 07:31:32.672] NOTICE[3748] dnsmgr.c: dnssrv:
> > host 'incoming.future-nine.com' changed from
> > 64.251.23.244:5060 to 85.17.148.32:5060
> > [2010-06-25 07:31:32.672] NOTICE[3748] dnsmgr.c: dnssrv:
> > host 'outgoing.future-nine.com' changed from
> > 65.111.186.2:5060 to 85.17.148.32:5060
>
> It looks as if the ip address for incoming.future-nine.com and
> outgoing.future-nine.com both changed to 85.17.148.32 . Asterisk will
> arbitarily match on any peer definition with the same ip address. In
> this case it appears to have chosen [future-nine] which has no context
> of its own hence the use of the general context.
>
> I think adding context=incoming to the [future-nine] peer should remove
> this problem in the future (though you may also need to check the
> insecure settings). I do not know the details of your setup but you
> could also investigate combining the two peer definitions perhaps with
> outboundproxy=outgoing.future-nine.com
>
> -- N_L

You're right.  I forgot that Asterisk likes to match peers on IP address above all else.

I set them up as two peer definitions because I tried to change all of my providers like
sip.conf.sample says to on line 536:

;    Tip 2: Use separate inbound and outbound sections for SIP providers
;           (instead of type=friend) if you have calls in both directions

I did have it set up (many months ago, maybe over a year ago) as one peer with an outbound
proxy.

I wonder if after the ability to put a register statement under a peer makes it into 1.8 if I did the
same thing but had the register under one peer if it might pick the other peer.  If it does, this may
cause confusion for other people in the future.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Dennis