[asterisk-dev] case sensitivity with global variables

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Jun 16 14:52:49 CDT 2010

On 06/16/2010 02:38 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> How about removing duplicates?
>
> Quoting procmailex(5)
>
>   If  you are subscribed to several mailinglists and people cross-post to
>   some of them, you usually receive several  duplicate  mails  (one from
>   every  list).   The following simple recipe eliminates duplicate mails.
>   It tells formail to keep an 8KB cache file in which it will store  the
>   Message-IDs  of  the most recent mails you received.  Since Message-IDs
>   are guaranteed to be unique for every new mail, they are ideally suited
>   to  weed  out  duplicate mails.  Simply put the following recipe at the
>   top of your rcfile, and no duplicate mail will get past it.
>
>          :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>          | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache
>
> (For the record, I have no problem with such "duplicates")

Digium's mail system already does that, and as I stated before, the
result of this sucks. The direct reply almost always arrives first
(since it isn't delayed by going through the list server), so it hits
the poster's inbox. Later, the list message arrives, is seen to be a
duplicate, and is dropped.

This means that if the list messages are supposed to be filtered into a
folder (as many of us do), the reply does not appear there (because the
direct reply doesn't contain any List headers that would indicate it is
associated with the list). When this happens to me, I have to manually
move the message into the associated list folder, so that it will appear
in the relevant thread. This is especially bothersome when the direct
reply appears overnight while I'm asleep, because then I have to wait
until I've checked the list folder to see if the message has already
been replied to, even though it's in my inbox.

We have configured these lists on purpose to send replies back to the
list (and yes, I understand that's a religious decision on our part, and
many people don't like it that way). Unsolicited direct replies are
unnecessary and bothersome.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com