[asterisk-dev] rtp timeout failover

Wolfgang Pichler wpichler at yosd.at
Tue Jun 1 08:45:36 CDT 2010

hi all,

i wanted to know if it would be possible to implement something like this

call leg A does dial call leg B over a channel with rtp data. call leg
B rtp data does timeout -> so call leg A continues at
context/extension/prio...

what i want to achive: Customer is talking with agent - agent is on a
not so reliable connection - connection to agent fails while in the
call - so asterisk does not drop call leg A - instead it does continue
on an other context / extension / priority - so we can play a message
to the customer that we are sorry... and connect the customer to an
other agent.

I am currently locking at chan_sip from asterisk 1.4.21 - there around
line 15725 is the rtptimeout handling - as far as i can see it does
simple hang up the call leg where the rtp timeout did occoured - so
dialplan execution will continue for call leg A - but it will look
like the hangup was a normal hangup. What about adding a new channel
variable to call leg A - which does mean that the hangup is because of
a rtp timeout ?

An other possibility would be to create a new HANGUP Cause for this -
but i think this change would have many side effects... - so not the
best way

Please let me know what you think about this.

best regards,
Wolfgang