[asterisk-dev] Still running into build issues w/ trunk, bug 17720

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Fri Jul 30 00:43:38 CDT 2010

On Thursday 29 July 2010 15:29:35 Philip Prindeville wrote:
>   On 7/29/10 12:41 PM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 July 2010 14:14:37 Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >> I want my development environment itself to be stable and robust and as
> >> bugfree as possible, but I don't mind developing software that uses
> >> bleeding edge libraries.
> >>
> >> They are two entirely different things.
> >
> > As we've said before, set your PATH variable correctly.  This is not
> > rocket science.  Do I have to login and fix your system AGAIN, because
> > you're completely helpless?  I really think by this time you would have
> > hired someone to do this for you, because it's clear that you cannot.
>
> The nature of the cross-build installation invalidates this assumption,
> which you'd know if you had taken up my offer months ago to integrate
> astlinux builds into bamboo, but you're apparently too smug and
> self-assured to presume you might learn anything from that process.
>
> (And yes, I can be snide too.  Woohoo!  What fun. Do you really want to
> keep this up?)

I'm backing it up with code.  See attached.

> The cross-build will install into $BUILD_DIR/root/usr/bin/pg-config, and
> when I run pg-config (which is what will happen if I do as you suggest), it
> will give me WRONG RESULTS because they will be missing the $BUILD_DIR/root
> prefix which they are relativized to.
>
> In other words, the pg-config will assume that $BUILD_DIR/root will be the
> root mount-point, and will give paths relative to that.
>
> If it tells me /usr/lib/libsql.so for instance, that would be the RUN-TIME
> path on the cross-built machine.
>
> That is NOT the $BUILD_DIR/root/usr/lib/libsql.so path that I need at
> BUILD-TIME.
>
> What you're suggesting would only work in a chroot'd environment (which is
> what "mock" does, but we're not using mock).

What I'm suggesting is the patch attached to this email message.  I made it
work, in the matter of several hours, divided in half because I had an
unexpected hour-long power outage in the middle of it.  I don't know how much
more salient I can make my point.  I did it.  It can be done.  Either you
aren't trying hard enough, or it is outside of your ability.  Please stop
torturing the other developers with pronouncements of bugs in the build
system, when clearly, the bugs are in your own build system.  Which I've now
proven TWICE.

--
Tilghman Lesher