[asterisk-dev] AMI version number in Asterisk 1.8?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Jul 26 01:46:38 CDT 2010

26 jul 2010 kl. 04.23 skrev Matt Riddell:

> On 17/07/10 8:34 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>>
>> 16 jul 2010 kl. 22.20 skrev Russell Bryant:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Issue 17651 requests an increase of the AMI protocol version number for
>>> Asterisk 1.8.  After reviewing it, my current feeling is that we should
>>> leave it at 1.1.
>>>
>>> The bump to 1.1 was after a significant number of changes to existing
>>> manager actions and events in Asterisk 1.6.0.  I don't know of anything
>>> that has changed to that degree since then.  The mantis issue notes an
>>> IAX2 peers change (that came from
>>> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=17100), but the change there is
>>> very minor.
>>>
>>> Also, in Asterisk 1.6.2 and 1.8, there is a CoreSettings AMI command
>>> that will let you get the Asterisk version number if needed.
>>>
>>> Do you agree that we should leave it alone?  If you think it should be
>>> changed, why?
>>>
>> I don't see that we've decided about any syntax changes that makes
>> 1.8 not being compatible with 1.1. When switching from 1.0 to 1.1 I did
>> a number of changes to syntax, cleaning up bad stuff. I also added the ability
>> to both check asterisk version and manager version so that apps can adapt
>> if we need to change again. We have to be careful when doing that,
>> so that we don't change just because we have a new Asterisk version.
>
> Weren't there some changes to the Originate command that would make
> parsing the response difference?
>
> Something with Async as well?
>
> If we get a different response from the Manager, we kinda need to know
> when connecting to it how it should be parsed.
Absolutely. If someone changes existing manager commands like this,
then the AMI version needs to change.

> Also, if there are new commands available which were not available in
> the last version, it would be nice to know we could use them.

Do you need the AMI version to change? My idea was that apps would use
AMI version plus Asterisk version for that. AMI version changes should indicate
that there are differents in dialects, Asterisk version changes that you might have
new features to use.

/O