[asterisk-dev] Too many open files

Terry Wilson twilson at digium.com
Fri Jul 23 19:42:59 CDT 2010

> Thanks, Olle.
>
> I concur, it looks very much like a leak to me, And it does look likecalls contribute to the left-over open files,
> as yesterday, I had 252 open files, and today, I have 270.
>
> I have copies of this virtual machine in several places in the cloud, and they pretty much only vary in configuration, and this system is the only one with this problem.
> Which leads me to think that the leak is associated either with a particular configuration, or perhaps to a particular
> voip provider, or some combo of the two, or I'm just totally a bad guesser.
>
> Today, "core show calls" says "192 calls processed", yesterday "127 calls processed", diff = 65 calls.
> open files today=270, yesterday=252, diff=18.  So, whatever is happening, isn't happening on every call.
> Maybe only incoming calls? Outgoing? using a particular IP provider? combo? who knows!
>
> Unfortunately, this system is scheduled for termination soon... I may or may not find the problem in the time allotted.
>
> WIll keep you all posted.

One recent difference is that sip channels stay around an extra 32 seconds with the attending file descriptors for rtp and rtcp. It was causing me to run out of file descriptors on a load test the other day. So, if you are checking "core show channels" vs "sip show channels" you can have a different number of file descriptors than you would expect. Of course, if you are checking when there haven't been any calls for a while then this won't matter.