[asterisk-dev] Using FFmpeg

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Jul 23 09:19:05 CDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:46:41PM +0200, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> 23 jul 2010 kl. 15.28 skrev SVN commits to the Digium repositories:
>
> >  decode it with FFMPEG
> > - encode it to H.263 with FFMPEG
>
> Philip,
> I hate to spoil things, because it sounds like you're having a lot of fun and doing progress. But doing video transcoding with FFmpeg seems to be interesting in regards to licenses and patents. Have anyone in the dev team done a licensing review here?

How about Ogg/Theora, Ogg/Dirac and WebM? All three use (or tend to use)
Vorbis for the audio.

They have no patent issues[1], are well-supported in Linux
distributions[2], and also implemented in ffmpeg, if you want to
check ffmpeg and not be bothered with the pesky MPEG-LA[3].

[1] "No patent issues" as in, e.g.: "the lawyers of RedHat consider
their implementations to be safe enough to include in RedHat".

[2] WebM is still new. But by the time 1.8 is released, I suspect it
will become even more common

[3] And, well, you assume that the implementation of ffmpeg does not use
some extra patents.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com