[asterisk-dev] Too many open files

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jul 22 02:16:19 CDT 2010

21 jul 2010 kl. 22.10 skrev Simon Perreault:

> On 2010-07-21 16:14, Andreas Sikkema wrote:
>> But using very high ulimit values to hide bugs is just bad by any
>> measure. Leaking file descriptors will one day bite you hard, whether
>> the limit is high or low and it will always be at a very inconvenient
>> time. For some time I even had munin monitor an app for the number of
>> file descriptors it had so I could restart it during a maintenance
>> window. After doing that for a couple of weeks you really, really
>> want the bug to be fixed.
>
> I was assuming there was no leak.

If murf sends a report to asterisk-dev, you can safely assume there's a leak somewhere.
I've heard about this, but have not experienced it myself.

Steve, I would duplicate the system and run SIPP with a large number of calls. It's easy to check
how many RTP sessions you should have - there are four ports per audio call. If "sip show channels"
show 100 calls, you should have 200 inbound ports open for listening and 200 ports used for sending stuff.
In addition to this you have the usual ports, but those are not many.

If we have a file leak, it's worth tracking it down. From the ports reported, it sure smells like RTP/RTCP ports.

/O