[asterisk-dev] Too many open files

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 15:02:25 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Simon Perreault <
simon.perreault at viagenie.ca> wrote:

> Just do e.g. "ulimit -n 100000".
>
> Relying on many file descriptors is good design. It moves processing
> from user-space to kernel-space, where it is done both more efficiently
> and with less errors.

That's just hiding the issue at hand and it may make it worst because it
will obscure it, because, as I noticed before in the mailing list (
http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-dev@lists.digium.com/msg39420.html),
there are parts of asterisk using select(), which requires FD_SET macro and
friends, which are limited to file descriptor values of 1024 (unless you
recompile gcc or allocate your own fd_set structures).

Moises Silva
Senior Software Engineer
Sangoma Technologies Inc. | NEW 100 Renfrew Drive, Suite 100, Markham ON L3R
9R6 Canada
t. 1 905 474 1990 x128 | e. moy at sangoma.com