[asterisk-dev] IPv4 and IPv6 preference

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Jul 16 08:23:05 CDT 2010

Gentlemen,

I've been trying to understand some of the DNS support for IPv6 and can't find traces here. It seems a bit random.

If I only use IPv6 on my Asterisk and call a domain that has both IPv4 and IPv6 SRV records, the call might fail randomly because the first one ending up is the ipv4 record. When calling srv record lookups, we need to tell the dns functions what we can handle and how we want to prioritize.

I would like to be able to set a preference for a dual stack host to say "I prefer IPv6" or "I hate IPv6, use IPv4 if available".

/O