[asterisk-dev] Standardizing CLI commands across modules

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Fri Jul 9 20:57:18 CDT 2010

All,

Had a discussion with Leif last week about a new type of bug within
Asterisk; Inconsistent.  A good example is within the CLI. For
example,  we have '... show settings', '... show status' and '...
status' CLI commands.  3 different commands to provide the same
output, default settings for a module. Some examples: 'manager show
settings', 'core show settings', 'sip show settings' and 'cdr show
status', 'cel show status', and 'dnsmgr status', 'features show'

I'm proposing we agree on a format and convert the remaining modules
to follow suit. With the creation of cli_alias.conf, the switch  to
new CLI commands could be handle without creating a 'deprecated'
message (However that is still to be determined).

My question is what do people prefer? And do you consider this a
problem too? Personally, I like 'sip show settings' over 'sip show
status' or 'sip status'.

The benefit would be more consistent documentation and training for new users.
--
Paul Belanger | dCAP
Polybeacon | Consultant