[asterisk-dev] 0015539: [patch] Register requestlinecontainswrong address when domain and registrar host differ

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Jan 26 06:36:40 CST 2010

26 jan 2010 kl. 12.34 skrev Nick Lewis:

>> Then go write your own version of the protocol while the rest of us try
> to unite around the standard ;-)
> I will stick to reading the existing standard
>
> Section 10.2.6
> "If there is no configured registrar address, the UA SHOULD use the host
> part of the address-of-record as the Request-URI" - otherwise use the
> registrar address

> Section 24.1
> "REGISTER sip:registrar.biloxi.com SIP/2.0"
>
> Also when processing a REGISTER request, the domain identified in the
> Request-URI "registrar.biloxi.com" is "biloxi.com" so there is no
> contradiction with section 10.3
I don't get that example, it's against all I've seen anywhere else. You got me there.
You can't say that "biloxi.com" is the domain, it could very well be "registrar.biloxi.com" - only DNS will tell. If we have NAPTR or SRV records, then it's a domain. If not, it's a host.

This is funny, after all years of SIP trainings I still learn new things. This was deeply hidden, but you are right.
If we have a known REGISTRAR the registrar is in the R-URI, otherwise it's the domain part. This is, as you say, hidden in 10.2.6.

Is this implemented in any phones out there? I haven't seen it for sure. Must test.

So in order to implement this right, we need a new setting for the REGISTRAR, something we haven't got at this time. Let's forget the syntax of the register= line and get this properly done in type=service.

We also need to check that the domain support in Asterisk supports this. It might be a bug there that we need to fix in all versions from 1.4 and up.

Now, it doesn't say it, but I guess that the registrar address is not limited to host names that has A or AAAA records in DNS - a service that can be located with DNS NAPTR/SRV too. I just see the term "registrar address" and since it's a URI I presume that the normal rules are valid.

Thanks for being persistent and beating my head on this topic!

/O