[asterisk-dev] chan_datacard and RTCP

Artem Makhutov artem at makhutov.org
Sun Jan 17 14:26:05 CST 2010

Hi,

Steve Totaro schrieb:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Olle E. Johansson <oej at edvina.net
> <mailto:oej at edvina.net>> wrote:
>

>     17 jan 2010 kl. 17.29 skrev Artem Makhutov:
>
>      > Hello,
>      >
>      > I am writing chan_datacard to be able to use Huawei UMTS
>     datacards as a GSM gateway with Asterisk.
>      >
>      > Some users have complained that their calls are disconnected
>     after exactly 30 seconds.
>      >
>      > After some investigation it came out that they were using X-Lite
>     as their sofphone and that X-Lite is disconnecting calls after 30
>     seconds if it does not receive RTCP packages in that time.
>      >
>      > So the question is how can I get asterisk to send RTCP packets to
>     X-Lite?
>      >
>      > Must I add something to chan_datacard to generate RTCP packets or
>     should asterisk generate RTCP packets by its own?
>      > I have no clue about RTCP. Can somebody give me some hints at
>     what I should look at?
>
>     Asterisk generates RTCP unless there's an p2p RTP bridge, which I
>     guess won't happen if you place a call from a SIP channel to your
>     own channel. Turn on "rtcp debug" in the CLI and you'll get detailed
>     information about RTCP messaging.
>
>     I have never heard anything about X-lite disconnecting because
>     there's no RTCP reports, that's very odd.
>
>     For a bit more information about RTCP, I suggest that you read my
>     blog about an on-going project to enhance RTCP support in Asterisk:
>     http://www.voip-forum.com/asterisk/2010-01/measuring-voice-quality-asterisk/
>
>     /O
>     --
>

> Not sure if it is related, but 30 seconds disconnect rings a bell if you
> don't Answer() in some circumstances.

No, this is not the case. The call gets answered. This problem also
happend only with X-Lite. I just tired out zoiper. Everything is working
fine here.

The phone call also works fine with X-Lite when the "disconnect after 30
seconds of no RTCP" is disabled. So I really suspect that there is a
problem with RTCP...