[asterisk-dev] chan_datacard and RTCP

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Jan 17 12:05:07 CST 2010

17 jan 2010 kl. 17.29 skrev Artem Makhutov:

> Hello,
>
> I am writing chan_datacard to be able to use Huawei UMTS datacards as a GSM gateway with Asterisk.
>
> Some users have complained that their calls are disconnected after exactly 30 seconds.
>
> After some investigation it came out that they were using X-Lite as their sofphone and that X-Lite is disconnecting calls after 30 seconds if it does not receive RTCP packages in that time.
>
> So the question is how can I get asterisk to send RTCP packets to X-Lite?
>
> Must I add something to chan_datacard to generate RTCP packets or should asterisk generate RTCP packets by its own?
> I have no clue about RTCP. Can somebody give me some hints at what I should look at?

Asterisk generates RTCP unless there's an p2p RTP bridge, which I guess won't happen if you place a call from a SIP channel to your own channel. Turn on "rtcp debug" in the CLI and you'll get detailed information about RTCP messaging.

I have never heard anything about X-lite disconnecting because there's no RTCP reports, that's very odd.

For a bit more information about RTCP, I suggest that you read my blog about an on-going project to enhance RTCP support in Asterisk:
http://www.voip-forum.com/asterisk/2010-01/measuring-voice-quality-asterisk/

/O