[asterisk-dev] Sub Address support for CDR logs

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Thu Jan 7 13:26:05 CST 2010

----- "Benny Amorsen" <benny+usenet at amorsen.dk> wrote:

> Will <nyphbl8d at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > FYI, ISDN already supports alphanumeric dialing. I'm not sure if :
> is
> > a supported symbol, but ISDN uses a full byte for each digit and it
> > appears to be ascii from what I've seen, so : may very well be
> > supported along with ", |, and a host of other possible delimiters.
>
> Ok, that should kill the idea of using : or any other delimiter. The
> only way forward is extra fields, it seems. (Or some kind of escaping
> mechanism. Ouch.)
>

> /Benny

Yes, ISDN ie's for numbers do provide a full byte for each digit.  However, the public numbering plans (ITU E.164) do not use anything other than digits 0-9.  Anything else is not supposed to go through the public networks.  A case could be made for the other DTMF digits (# * a-d) as an exception with special arrangements.  The other characters you see in written telephone numbers: +-() are for convenience.

Richard