[asterisk-dev] /dev/zap/timer vs /dev/dahdi/timer

Dan Amarandei dan.amarandei at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 14:30:59 CST 2010

Hi everyone,

Are they any known differences between /dev/zap/timer
and /dev/dahdi/timer?

As far as I could tell both devices should be of type 196,253 – however
I am having issues with the driver I have been porting (DAHDI driver for
IP01 which is Blackfin based).

The compiled timertest utility from the dahdi tools gives me the
following

Opened timer...

Unable to set timer: Inappropriate ioctl for device

When I am running Asterisk 1.6 I am getting the following message which
makes sense:

[Jan  1 00:00:11] ERROR[142] res_timing_dahdi.c: You have DAHDI built
and drivers loaded, but the DAHDI timer test failed to set
DAHDI_TIMERCONFIG to 160.
For more information on Asterisk timing modules, including ways to
potentially fix this problem, please see doc/timing.txt.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Thanks and Happy New Year.