[asterisk-dev] Is there a way to abort an Async AGI play (or perhaps use some internal digit collecting)?

Dan Cropp dan at amtelco.com
Fri Feb 26 14:34:53 CST 2010

Some background information...

I am using AMI to interface with Asterisk 1.6.2.

With this interface, as calls come in, I have scripts built to control
call flow and interface to external applications.

I need to be able to play a file and collect digits at the same time.  I
detect the digits via the DTMF Events on the AMI interface.  I use the
Get Option command to start the play.  However, I encountered a slight
timing bug.  Asterisk can detect the DTMF digit at the same time our
application is sending a Get Option Command.  The result is that my
application sees the digit, which is exactly as expected.  When this
occurs, I want to be able to stop the play, but I have not been able to
find any AMI, AGI command, or Application to allow us to abort an
existing play.

In the past, I have worked a few board related voice vendors and they
have used two different approaches:

Some vendors have an internal digit collector.  When a play is
initiated, several options are passed in (# of digits to collect, clear
existing digit queue flag, timeout, etc).

Other vendors provide events to notify the application when a digit is
pressed/released.  In this environment, the application is responsible
for most of the work.  The key feature is that provide a way for the
application to be able to stop the play.

Is there any way to implement either of these digit collecting
approaches using Asterisk?  If not, is there some other way to get
around this problem?

Have a great day!

Dan