[asterisk-dev] Channel Read Queue locking

Damien Wedhorn voip at facts.com.au
Wed Feb 17 14:32:22 CST 2010

I'm about to bring the readq locking patch
(https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=14998) up to date and put in on
the review board. However a couple of issues before I do.

Apparently it will fix/help with some chan_local issues
(https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/219/). However, given the
fundamental change, it could also lead to regressions elsewhere. Aragon
has indicated that he expects this will be applied to all branches
(based on feedback from tilghman's feedback.

While this would normally just go to trunk, if it does fix bugs in
releases, should we apply it to them and try to fix up anything else it
breaks, or just apply it to trunk? Arguably, we can leave the chan_*
locks as they are for current releases and just change the channels.c
code which should limit possible issues, and only change the chan_*
locking in trunk.

The second thing is that the patch as it stands is only a half fix.
Locking is still required to fiddle with the hangup stuff. I was going
to modify the soft_hangup write stuff to be atomic and as such remove
all of the requirements for channel locking before playing with readq.
Should this idea be integrated into this patch or left for a subsequent
patch?

Also, there seems to be a bit of an issue with the current mantis/review
board approach. It appears Mark Michelson and myself were blissfully
unaware of each other work for 10 months. He was waiting for my stuff
and I was waiting for some comment on my stuff. If there were some
overlap between mantis and the review board, this may well have been
sorted out a long time ago.

Damien Wedhorn