[asterisk-dev] Proposed changes to app_talkdetect.c

Devin Jacobs dbuttonz at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:30:13 CST 2010

I would like to see the fallowing change made to app_talkdetect.c ;
also known as BackgroundDetect.

It currently has the fallowing signature:
BackgroundDetect(filename[|silence[|min[|max]]])

I propose that a 5th parameter be added to specify the minimum amount
of time required to reset the clock.  This would be useful in my case;
 I've been using BackgroundDetect as part of my answering machine
detection.  Currently I desire to jump to the talk extension if there
is over 4 second of noise.  The problem is this 4 seconds of noise
often takes a form such as <3000 ms of noise><2 ms of silence><3000 ms
of noise>.  This is very close to 6 seconds of noise, but it will not
jump to the talk extension in my dial plan because of a few
milliseconds of silence that reset the clock.

Again, I propose a 5th parameter which can be used to specify a
minimum length of time required to reset the clock.  This would be an
optional parameter which defaults to zero, and thus fully backwards
compatible.

I'm willing to do this myself, but I am not well qualified.  I would
appreciate any help or advice.  Is what I have proposed achievable in
any other way?  If someone else would like to make this proposed
change themselves I would be grateful.

Thanks.