[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.6.1.15-rc2 Crash

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Thu Feb 11 11:19:53 CST 2010

Bryant Zimmerman wrote:
> I made the mistake of rushing the rc2 to a production server to try and
> get T.38 to work correctly and it crashed and asterisk stopped running
> after about 4 hours in production.  I fell back to 1.6.1.14.  How can I
> figure out what caused the crash.
> The system had taken only about 150 calls when it crashed.
>
> It deffinatly does not appare to be stable.
>
> Thanks
> Bryant

If Asterisk was run with the -g option, then it would have dumped a core file
upon crashing. This core file can then be inspected with gdb to get a backtrace
where the crash occurred. However, unless the DONT_OPTIMIZE option was turned on
in menuselect, it is likely that the backtrace will be unhelpful since a lot of
the data has been optimized away.

All information about getting backtraces from a crash can be found in
doc/backtrace.txt in the Asterisk source directory.

Mark Michelson