[asterisk-dev] GSoC 2010

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Feb 1 17:09:37 CST 2010

On 02/01/2010 05:05 PM, Chris Tooley wrote:
> I have to say I completely agree. There are some things for which the
> Dialplan is great, and then there are things that really should be
> done in an AGI or EIVR application. The Dialplan should not be
> complicated to the point of being unusable by trying to include every
> possible feature and concept. Especially since, at some point, it
> becomes maintaining a programming language of it's own and is outside
> the scope of the project.

We are basically going up against design decisions made for Asterisk
ages ago.  The dialplan already is a programming language to some
extent.  I think our job today is to resist feature creep in the
"language" and only provide what is necessary.  I would much rather put
effort into making it easier to take advantage of the work that the
communities that actually specialize in making a programming language
have already done.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software