[asterisk-dev] GSoC 2010

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Feb 1 16:59:35 CST 2010

On 02/01/2010 04:56 PM, Mat Murdock wrote:
> I wonder if we could make this more user friendly where you can add a
> variable on each line and the returning xml would be returned into
> variables named by their xml tags.  In the example below two variables
> would be sent to a php page via post and the resulting page would be an
> xml page with a tag named "age".  Anyway just an idea.
>
> exten =>  _X.,n,rest(test);
> exten =>  _X.,n,Set (rest(test,first_name) ="John")
> exten =>  _X.,n,Set (rest(test,last_name) ="Doe")
> exten =>  _X.,n,rest_submit(test,http://somehost/controller/function.php)
> exten =>  _X.,n,NoOp(${rest(test,age)})

My problem with this type of feature is that so many other programming
langauges already have this figured out, and we make it very easy to
take advantage of that with AGI.  So, it's hard for me to swallow the
maintenance burden.  There has just _got_ to be a point at which we say,
sorry, the dialplan is not designed for that, you need a "real"
programming language.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software