[asterisk-dev] How to split Asterisk packages

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Dec 31 16:04:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 09:05:45PM -0600, Alan Jones wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm working on packaging Asterisk for Pardus and I've got it compiling with most
> features enabled. I have missed some where the dependencies were a little
> involved and supported features (that to someone with very limited asterisk
> experience) seemed esoteric. Though if there is anything I really should include
> that's not there yet please let me know.
>
> So I'm now trying to figure out how best to split it all into separate
> packages as
> it has everything in one.
>
> You can find the filelist here (apologies for the quick file post
> link, I didn't know
> what the policy was regarding attachments on the list)
>
> http://www.qfpost.com/download.do?get=39f6bfcf8b7472c475aa28dac46f5afd
>
> Anyway - the headers would go in a -devel package, the pdf in a -doc package,
> sounds would be split by language, codec, and I guess core and extra (though
> how do I tell them apart once it's in the final directory structure?).
> Also are the
> empty .asterisk*sounds* files required? Any others I should delete?

The asterisk sounds don't belong in the main Asterisk package. They have
different tarballs and version numbers.  In fact, Digium strips them off
the asterisk tarball included in the .src.rpm packages in
http://packages.asterisk.org/ . You should package core (, extra?) and
moh tarballs of the format(s) and language(s) you want.

> Then when it gets to modules etc I get extra unsure what should be done. Is it
> worth spitting these apart? i.e. I have the dahi kernel modules and dahdi-tools
> in other packages as their source is separate. Should the dahdi dependent
> asterisk config and modules be split out? Then there's all the other ones and
> where it starts/ends becomes especially unclear to me.

DAHDI may belong in a separate package if you want that dependency
optional. Don't forget to put there all the DAHDI-dependent modules
(chan_dahdi, app_meetme, app_dahdiras, app_dahdibarge, res_timing_dahdi
and codec_dahdi).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com