[asterisk-dev] 1.8 SIP deadlock on transfer using REFER

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Dec 20 16:56:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 14:54 -0800, Jonathan Thurman wrote:
> I started to look at what changed between 1.6.2 and 1.8 in that
> section of the code, and it looks like this is related to the
> processing of parking.  Specifically, the function used to identify if
> the blind-transfer extension is a valid parking lot number.  Within
> that function (main/features.c: ast_parking_ext_valid) there is a call
> to pbx_find_extension which then calls ast_autoservice_stop on the
> channel and Deadlock!
>
> From reading through other code sections, it doesn't seem necessary to
> pass the channel information to pbx_find_extension when looking to see
> if an extension is a valid parking lot pilot. Setting the channel to
> NULL on the call resolves the deadlock, and I have uploaded a patch
> for testing, and would like some feedback if this satisfies the issue,
> or if I should keep looking for another area for deadlock avoidance.

That fix is probably fine for yours (and most) installations.  However,
we won't be able to merge that as the final solution.

Channel autoservice is required when doing any sort of dialplan lookup
because it may require some sort of lookup to a database and/or over a
network to accomplish.  Since these operations may block for some period
of time, we must ensure that the channel is still being serviced.

You might just be able to release the lock on the sip_pvt before
checking if the parking spot is valid and then grab it back afterwards.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software