[asterisk-dev] asterisk call limit

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Thu Dec 16 09:13:18 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 15 December 2010 11:41:23 Pedro Nascimento wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm running tests using multiple calls on asterisk 1.8.1, and I could
> not run more than 400 or 500 simultaneous calls. Unfortunatelly, I need
> to run 800 simultaneous calls for my test. I did a search in the
> internet and it could be limited by the number of file descriptors. Is
> this number limited by asterisk? Can i raise this number?

It's not limited by Asterisk, specifically, but it is limited by default on
most platforms to 1024.  The root user is permitted to raise this limit,
but users cannot raise their own limits above the hard limit set by the
root user.  The command for doing this is ulimit -n <num>.  There is
additionally a per-box limit that is normally set at boot time, according
to the amount of memory in the machine.  The per-box limit can be adjusted
directly with the sysctl command.

--
Tilghman