[asterisk-dev] Project Dependencies on Bamboo

Paul Belanger pabelanger at digium.com
Fri Dec 3 16:32:43 UTC 2010

Morning,

I've been looking into bamboo dependencies as a method to control the
amount of failure messages being generated.  Currently, if bamboo
catches a failure (EG: bad commit), each plan will generate an
individual error message.  For Asterisk Trunk it is 7 messages, times
that for 3 other branches, you can see how quickly bamboo starts
spamming.  Add to that back to back commits if the test is not fixed,
another round of messages.

My proposal it to keep the same project layout:

Project: Asterisk - Trunk
    Plan: CentOS 5.5 > ASTTRUNK-CENTOS55-60
    Plan: Debian Lenny (5.0) > ASTTRUNK-LENNY-72
    Plan: Fedora 13 > ASTTRUNK-FEDORA13-2
    Plan: FreeBSD 8.1 > ASTTRUNK-FREEBSD81-50
    Plan: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) > ASTTRUNK-SNOWLEOPARD-74
    Plan: Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) > ASTTRUNK-TIGER-73
    Plan: Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) > ASTTRUNK-LUCID-75

However I would like to flag 1 Plan as our primary and the remaining as
secondary. We would then create a blocking dependency on the secondary
plans so they will not build until the primary has been successful.

Project: Asterisk - Trunk
    Primary Plan:
        Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) > ASTTRUNK-LUCID-75
    Secondary Plan:
        Plan: CentOS 5.5 > ASTTRUNK-CENTOS55-60
        Plan: Debian Lenny (5.0) > ASTTRUNK-LENNY-72
        Plan: Fedora 13 > ASTTRUNK-FEDORA13-2
        Plan: FreeBSD 8.1 > ASTTRUNK-FREEBSD81-50
        Plan: Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6) > ASTTRUNK-SNOWLEOPARD-74
        Plan: Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) > ASTTRUNK-TIGER-73

If the primary plan was successful, all secondary plan would proceed to
build.  However, if there is a failure with the primary the secondary
plan would block until the primary has been fixed.   This would help
decrease the flood of messages bamboo generates in the event of a failure.

--
Paul Belanger
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer