[asterisk-dev] Pinana updates - distributed device states over SIP

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Dec 2 08:12:02 UTC 2010

2 dec 2010 kl. 09.04 skrev Klaus Darilion:

> Am 02.12.2010 08:15, schrieb Olle E. Johansson:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Brad Watkins (Marquis42) and I have been working on project pinana
>> for a while. A lot of time was spent on architecture, something we
>> locked down at Astricon and went from architecture work to coding. We
>> now have the follwowing state:
>>
>> - Asterisk can subscribe to remote device states by adding hints -
>
> I guess subscriptions to resource-lists are not supported yet?
No. Code contributions are welcome :-)

I don't know if manipulation of a resource list is less intensive in this case, but that's something we can discuss after we have this working.

>> My personal feeling is that this will add a lot of functionality to
>> Asterisk in large scale installations. It's something I wanted to do
>> for many years. Feels great to see the bits and pieces coming
>> together and actually work as planned!
>
> Yes. There is already res_ais and res_jabber, but this for sure will ease integration of external presence watchers and publishers.

That's the point. While the other solution distribute states, they don't offload asterisk or open up for integration with other systems like this one, using open standardized protocols.

Future work, apart from resource lists, could be to PUBLISH mailbox states as well.  We will add PUBLISH of extension states soon, to off-load asterisk. If we have both extension state and mailbox state in Kamailio, we can really offload all subscriptions and states from Asterisk, which will take some load off in large and busy systems.

I also see that we could use a separate socket in trunk for all this traffic. We already have a separate thread for PUBLISH and that thread could maintain a socket by itself.

Much fun stuff ahead :-)

/O