[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] Support text messages outside of a call

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Dec 2 00:44:17 CST 2010

In order to do this, we need to go through I18n for this. SIP use MIME formats and can specify character set used.  Default is UTF8, like in IAX2. I don't know what Skype uses, but if I remember correctly, XMPP is not pure UTF8, but a special XHTML profile - so we're suddenly adding formatting.

In XMPP and SIP we also have two different concept - a message, like an SMS text and a chat session. A chat session in SIP is in some clients handled by the MSRP protocol.

In Asterisk we also have realtime text, T.140, which needs to be gatewayed to chat-like sessions and instant messages. And don't forget the SMS app...

We should propably investigate IRC and Twitter protocols as wells.

So we have
 - character by character (T.140), one-shot messages (SMS, SIP Message, XMPP) and chat sessions (SIP/MSRP, XMPP)
- formatted and non-formatted messages (raw text and various markup languages)
- character sets

Just some input after a few years of thinking...

/O