[asterisk-dev] Asterisk dialup connection?

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Mon Aug 23 07:28:07 CDT 2010

On Monday 23 August 2010 05:02:12 hadi motamedi wrote:
> Excuse me, You mean the frequency spectrum of the V.90 modem can pass
> through an G.723.1/G.729a codec w/o much distortion? If so, can you please
> let me know why my dial up connection cannot get through when
> G.723.1/G.729a codec is selected?

Neither of those are loss-free codecs.  They are not mere compression codecs;
they both REMOVE parts of the signal that are not distinguishable by the human
ear when it comes to speech.  That is the method by which they obtain such
good compression ratios.  Unfortunately for your purposes, the codecs are
removing exactly the parts of the signal that allow a modem negotiation to
succeed.

It is, however, rather bizarre that you want to be able to do this.  By the
time they are connecting over a voip connection, they already have access to
the IP network.  Why in the world would you want to tunnel a modem over IP?

--
Tilghman Lesher