[asterisk-dev] IPv4 and IPv6 preference

Simon Perreault simon.perreault at viagenie.ca
Mon Aug 9 10:04:11 CDT 2010

On 2010-08-09 10:57, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> I am more worried about the generic security aspects of this. People are very used to
> use "netstat" to just list and check the number of sockets and what they're listening
> too. This will not only confuse this poor swede, but many other sysadmins.

You're not alone!

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-itojun-v6ops-v4mapped-harmful-00

(IPv4-mapped addresses were disabled in OpenBSD because of this. Later
versions of this draft concentrated on treats from IPv4-mapped addresses
on the wire, probably (my guess) as a result of IETF push-back.)

See also:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-itojun-ipv6-transition-abuse-01#section-3

Simon
--