[asterisk-dev] IPv4 and IPv6 preference

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Aug 9 09:52:24 CDT 2010

On 08/09/2010 09:33 AM, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On 2010-08-09 10:27, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> Now I get it, it doesn't show as listening to IPv4 in netstat on Linux. That's bad.
>> So any app that listens to :: will get IPv4 too. I did not understand that.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I just added a comment in sip.conf.sample that
> hopefully makes things clearer.

That's because netstat lists *open sockets*, and some information about
those sockets. netstat was invented before there was the possibility of
a single socket being able to handle multiple address families at once,
and so its output does not have any way to show you the information you
were looking for. I suppose it could list the socket twice... but then
anyone relying on it for an actual socket count would be misled :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com