[asterisk-dev] STUN support in chan_sip revisited

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Aug 6 07:28:45 CDT 2010

On 08/06/2010 07:12 AM, Simon Perreault wrote:

> Working with servers that do not support SIP-outbound and/or ICE is
> simple: don't do anything. It is up to these servers to do their thing
> (i.e. latching). If they don't do any of that, then they can't
> reasonably expect to work with clients behind NATs.

Right; this is the situation today with Asterisk as a server with
clients behind NATs. Through the use of 'perceived addresses' for the
client, NAT traversal generally works just fine for most people, without
any special support required on the client end. Since most SIP service
implement these same techniques, Asterisk as a client behind a NAT
generally works as well.

So... I'd like to see this discussion focused on the actual benefits
expected from implementation of proper STUN/TURN/ICE support, rather
than the features. Certainly I can see the value of TURN/ICE support for
double-NAT situations, but beyond that it's not clear to me what
problems these methods are actually going to solve in the real world.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com