[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.8 and MP3 code?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Aug 2 11:46:33 CDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:47 AM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:

> These pieces of code are restricted for different reasons; the iLBC code
> itself cannot be distributed without accepting the GIPS license, but the
> format_mp3 code has no such distribution restriction. That code can be
> freely distributed, only usage falls under the patents in question. I
> don't know how this maps to Fedora's policies, but they are different
> situations.

As far as Fedora is concerned it doesn't matter why it's non-free, I
have to strip it out of the tarball. "addons/format_mp3.c" is
*probably* OK, but since it's a little bit more than just a wrapper
around an MP3 decoding library it worries me. The code in "addons/mp3"
is right out of course.

I believe that it would be acceptable to Fedora if the addons/mp3 code
was moved to an external tarball and the addons/Makefile had some code
to download and extract the tarball if format_mp3 was enabled by the
user (Fedora of course would not enable it of course).

--
Jeff Ollie