[asterisk-dev] Bugs/patches 16033 and 16590 ignored forever

Philip A. Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Sat Apr 24 11:54:11 CDT 2010

On 04/22/2010 08:54 AM, Leif Madsen wrote:

> Perhaps that could be useful for the community developers, but really the
> community developers tend to know each other, and anyone with commit access is
> able to introduce themselves. Beyond that, I would encourage people to simply
> hang out in the #asterisk-dev IRC channel and get involved in development. That
> is the best way of getting recognized.

I'm not sure that's entirely true.

I dabble in Asterisk (and also about 30 other OSS projects, including
Openssl and Fedora).  There are too many developers to keep track of.

That said, I think the "bug scrub emcee" (or bug marshal, if you prefer)
could match up reporters/fixers/verifiers.

For instance, I episodically report, fix, or verify bugs.

If the bug marshal knew that I worked in SIP trunking a lot, and also
knew that someone else had reported a SIP trunking fix, then he could
suggest that I take a look at the bug and perhaps even build a private
binary with that patch rolled in and report back with my findings.

On the one hand, it's a little more work for him to do to play
"matchmaker", but if the flipside is that bugs are getting tested and
verified much more quickly, then maybe it's a net gain...

He is, after all, the person that looks at every bug, and knows who is
working on what, better than anyone else.

-Philip