[asterisk-dev] "Digium development team" - not Asterisk dev team - Java

Tim Ringenbach tim.ringenbach at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 12:25:44 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Timothy Rodriguez <
timothy.rodriguez at gmail.com> wrote:

> It would significantly complicate the architecture to bring in java
> for developing channel types.  I think lua would be a better language
> for extensibility. However, I think java would've worked had asterisk
> been implemented entirely in it, but a functional language like erlang
> might've lent itself better to the type of concurrency asterisk
> requires. Btw, erlang is a vm language as well, so it has similar
> properties to the jvm, but is used by a telco for implementing pbxs.
> Still, much less people know erlang than java or c.

I don't understand why you're saying that. I already mentioned the jasterisk
project. I don't know if they let you do channel drivers or not, but I don't
see any technical reason why you could not. It's just a matter of writing
the right bindings. Lots of open source projects have java bindings
implemented as external projects. There's the jirr project (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jirr/) for example that lets you use
irrlicht from java.

I wouldn't expect an explosion of channel drivers just because you could
write one in java. If there was that much interest in java there would
already be bindings to write channel drivers and people already doing it.