[asterisk-dev] Bugs/patches 16033 and 16590 ignored forever

Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson kkm at adaptiveai.com
Tue Apr 20 15:13:13 CDT 2010

On 100420 0548, Leif Madsen wrote:
> I'm not sure how to resolve the paradox you're speaking of. I'm not even sure I
> agree a paradox exists. Separate pools of resources do not exist for testing and
> development.

But they do:

> The Digium development team does both testing and development

Yes, but not only. Both developer and test pools are larger than the dev
team.

Again, suppose I file a bug, then developer X writes a fix, *I* confirm
it. In this case, the pool of testers includes at least one who is
particularly willing to test the fix.

If, however, I file a bug *and* supply the fix, I am excluded from the
testing pool.

It is true that in the first case I am likewise excluded from the dev
pool: I can be only one resource in relation to one bug report. So here
I am weighing the cost -- essentially the game is to choose from which
resource pool I should get myself excluded to let the fix go through.

So ultimately the question is, what is more likely: that someone other
tham myself fixes a bug given a bug report, or that someone other than
me tests my own fix. From my observation, the former happens, and the
latter does not. So far, empirically, to win the game I must choose the
former solution: do not fix the bug myself.

This is a paradox: If I am willing to contribute my time to fix the
problem, I am punished by having to maintain the patch, well, for a very
long time.

Where exactly do you see a flaw in this presentation?

  -kkm