[asterisk-dev] Bugs/patches 16033 and 16590 ignored forever

Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson kkm at adaptiveai.com
Mon Apr 19 23:13:59 CDT 2010

On 100416 1249, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson wrote:
>
>> Now, an interesting observation. When I report a bug, it gets fixed by a
>> developer, I confirm the fix works, and it gets into the 1.6 branches.
>> Now, If I both report and fix the same bug, it is doomed to  sit there
>> forever. That raises another question -- that is a strong disincentive
>> for me to send in a patch *even if I have one*. Instead, I should
>> consider my fix "a temporary hack" and then throw it away when an
>> "official" fix is implemented by somebody else.
>
> That may have been the case with your previous issues, but there is only
> a correlation, not causation. Attaching patches to issues does *not* in
> any way lower their priority for being addressed, in fact it raises the
> priority.

Kevin,

Your explanation is indeed sensible, but there are different resource
pools involved in debugging/fixing the problem, and in testing the fix.
If I report a bug without sending in a fix, there is a chance that it
will be fixed by a developer. Then I confirm the fix, and it is good to
go. On the other hand, when I fix the problem by myself, there is no one
out there to try the fix, and, therefore, assuming rare enough a
problem, the fix will unlikely be confirmed and committed. There are
just many more developers willing to fix the bug that does not affect
them personally that testers willing to test a fix to a bug that does
not affect them personally.

Such a disposition looks quite paradoxical to me.

(I know -- I have already be advised to find a sympathetic soul or pay
someone for testing -- but that does not resolve the paradox: I do not
have to do all that If I do not send in a patch).

I think that Paul Belanger describes essentially the same problem,  but
from a different vantage point.

  -kkm