[asterisk-dev] [Asterisk 0014810]: [patch] channel-specific hangupcauses

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Sep 11 04:29:20 CDT 2009

11 sep 2009 kl. 11.10 skrev Marcus Hunger:

> Unfortunately, 13140 does not allow the user to set it's sip-hangup-
> cause in the dialplan, nor does it pass the original hangupcause to
> the master-chansip.
>
> Do you think, it would be a good idea to create a patch so that
> chansip uses SIP_CAUSE to generate a cause for a hangup?

It would certainly break most of Asterisk's architecture, make CDRs
hard to parse and cause havoc in the internal bridges.

Do remember that we're a multiprotocol platform. The cause codes needs
to correlate. You can't set one cause code in a channel driver and
have a totally different one in the bridge to the other side, which
might use a totally different channel driver.

What we can do is open up the translation tables between SIP and ISDN
causes and add some custom codes that you can configure for your own
use. That would be a bit more clever approach.

Sorry for being harsh, but this has been discussed many times and I am
still afraid of opening up this pandora's box. The multiprotocol
architecture is a foundation for Asterisk's success story. If we start
breaking it apart by allowing too much protocol specific stuff into
the core, like the dialplan, we're not multiprotocol any more. There
are many platforms out there that are single protocol. Many of them
being replaced with a multiprotocol engine like Asterisk ;-)

/O