[asterisk-dev] Strange code in chan_sip.c (1.4) sip_xmit - network retry in 1 ms on REGISTER socket failures

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Sep 7 08:32:34 CDT 2009

> Since I don't have access to svnview, it's too hard to trace when the
> lines 1835-1839 was added. Somehow it reschedules a REGISTER in the
> middle of the "send to socket" function, bypassing a lot of other code
> that handles errors on this layer. It's extremely aggressive. What
> kind of network-related errors would possibly be resolved in 1 ms and
> can't wait for normal SIP retransmit?
>
> I need to understand where this is coming from and why, since there's
> a bug report in https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=15540.
>
> I think we should propably just remove it or move it somewhere else.
> For some reason, it doesn't exist at all in 1.6 or trunk.

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/svn-commits/2009-February/043772.html

Thanks for google and stubborn people like me. Found it myself...

I think this patch cause a loop that needs to be broken when REGISTER
can't really reach the host. Seems like the developer wanted to try
once more, but it keeps trying and trying and trying...

Now the question that remains is why this wasn't fixed in trunk?

Thanks to myself for finding this ;-)

/O